Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Note From my Future Self

Some wished they'd taken more risks, others urge youngsters to just go ahead and use the good china, and there's a whole generation who I'm sure will anguish over the fact they spent more time with their handhelds and Treos than they did with their loved ones.

You always hear people say that if they had the knowledge then that they do now, they'd have done so many things differently.

Everyone has regrets.

We don't always admit to them, but even the most righteous of us have them. It's so easy to say "in retrospect, I would have done this" or "I would give anything to go back and do things this way, instead." So here's my question: If hindsight is 20/20, then why can't our present sight be just as clear?

Why does it take a lifetime of amassed disappointments and coulda, shoulda, wouldas to finally grasp the way we should be living, or rather, the way we should have lived?

Imagine for a minute what our lives would be like if we didn't waste any of our precious moments? If, rather than casting off our aspirations and desires for "someday", we made our wildest dreams happen now. What if we started living today the life that one day we'll undoubtedly wish we had?

When we reach the end of our long, twisted rope, what if all we had to say was, "With all its ups, downs and in betweens, that life was perfect just the way it was. No complaints! If I had it to live it over again, I'd do everything exactly the same."

That's my hope, but admittedly, if my life were to end tomorrow, I would regret; among many things, I would regret all the times I chose to scowl rather than smile, I would regret all the times I opted to let my ego lead me into self-important and prideful desolation, I would regret taking everything too seriously, I would regret making decisions based on other people's expectations, I would regret not listening to my inner compass and I would regret fearing adventure and holing up in the humdrum confines of the known.

I want to live my best life - the life I imagined - but how? How do I let go of fears, insecurities, addictions and comfy, soul-sucking monotony? By heeding the advice of my future self.

I can only imagine years down the line, to my current self, this is what I'd have to say:

Bowie,

Laugh more!

Really, Bowie, for such a seemingly happy person, you don't laugh enough. And I'm not talking about those performance giggles you fake around others, I mean the belly-aching eruption that starts in your toes and heartily convulses its way all the way up and out the tippy-top of your head. When you were a kid you found humor in everything; you loved laughing until you could no longer breathe, until the tears were streaming down your cheeks and your ribcage actually hurt from howling. Life is still funny, and it's okay to laugh. Even when things feel hard - whey they are hard - don't take anything so seriously that you become blind to humor. This I know for sure: Even at its shittiest, life is one giant comedy act and it's up to you to provide the laughtrack. God has a sense of humor...you can too.

Have fun!

Don't forget to enjoy yourself. Sure, study life, there's work to be done, deadlines to adhere to and exams to cope with, but there's also sunflowers to smell, wine to drink and occasions to celebrate. Don't get so caught up in the daily grind that you forget about daily joy. Remember this: You don't have to earn your right to enjoy life. Stop punishing yourself! You can be a hard-student and have fun too. Where did you ever get the notion it was one or the other? Ridiculous! Get out there and and live life - where do you think your guitars and pianos come from anyway? Certainly not within the boundaries of your living place!

You're worthy of love!

You don't have to work so hard to be loved. Here's a hint: You are already are loved. And what's more, you are loveable. Quit getting involved with girls who make you work for their adoration and respect; the girl who's right for you won't dangle her love in front of you like a toy, she won't use her love as a means of control and she certainly won't require you to constantly remind her why you're worthy of her affection.

Be good to you!

If you're not for yourself, who will be? Tell that inner critic of yours to shut up. Better yet, kill him. Or if you want, torture him first, then kill him. The point is, he's got to go.

Be spontaneous!

Every time you get off the beaten path and do something out of the ordinary, you feel your soul stir! So why are you still so afraid of spontaneity? You have a free-spirit in you, but you squash him. In order to bring you joy, he needs to be allowed to breathe and play. Let him! It's for your own good. It's when things don't go as planned that you love life most so at least once a week, ignore your to-do lists and simply drift; life will lead you where it will and I guarantee you'll enjoy the journey.

Most of all, when your life is ending and you're reminiscing about the past, it's not the checked off chores and tasks you'll yearn for and remember; it's the memories.

Don't forget to make some.

Tell people how you feel, quit playing mind games, and don't put off happiness. Today is the day.

With respect and unconditional love,
Bowie

What would your future self tell you?

4 comments:

Titus said...

I couldn't agree more.

Bowie said...

Thank you =D
So what would your future self tell you then?

Anonymous said...

i think...my future self will probably tell me the exact 70% of stuff urs jz told u. XD
but at least at times when I jz couldnt take it anymore, i would free my spontaneity and the innerchild.

but den again, the current me dun blame the current u for how you're acting/behaving now. because in life, its not just about ourselves, no matter how many times we said "its our life".I guess..i'm kinda like u XD

Anonymous said...

shud i thank u?cos dis has got me to start thinking so much dat i'm not able to get all those thoughts in line..!but u're speaking up on behalf of loads of ppl...*two thumbs-up* =)