Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gears


Amateur practicing tools of mine
I just wanna share...

Well what I did when I'm practicing, I'll have my guitar plugged into the Line6 Micro Spider amplifier that I have, which is a pretty cool mini amp...


Have the microphone plugged in as well...
Notice the PHONES/RECORD OUT port, I plugged a 1/8-to-1/4 converter there.
Unless you live in a bungalow or a place where the distance of one house to another is quite far away, you wouldn't wanna listen to the mic output directly right out of the amplifier's speaker while you screams and squeaks and strums and have the whole neighborhood complains about you being a singer-wanna-be and have people to sue you for disturbing the neighborhood,
a pair of headphones is required.


Set the modeling output of the amplifier to Acoustic, depends on what guitar I'm playing, the rest of the models like Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane are strictly for electric guitars.


Here's the headphone I'm using, PHILIPS SHP 2000.
Its good enough for me, considering listening to myself while practicing.

And the mic with the performance that worth its price and specifications,
Shure's SM58

As of the demos that I always record and some people told me that it's quite clear, even what I did was just recording using a normal multimedia microphone, then play and sing directly to that microphone while record the whole thing.
I guess the clarity of the raw recording is contributed by the sound card itself...


Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 5.1 External Sound Card

everything you need for the sound... but it is DEFINITELY not a proper recording sound card, I used what I have.


Yes, its just like any of those audio panels you have at your laptop or PC.
I noticed a contrast in between recording directly using the laptop sound card and this external sound card. The noise level is pretty low, and every bit of sound is captured, even the bass of the guitar is not that boomy. The gain of the vocal and guitar are balanced.

Furthermore, make sure that the multimedia microphone is a stereo microphone, which means it's able to capture the sound in a higher dB, more sensitive.
So if you think that my suggestion is the best way to do so, do make sure that the room is quiet, even the sound that the ceiling fan makes counts.
But do aware that recording this way is strictly for producing demos and raw recordings only.
Do not attempt to do or expect a studio-quality recording out of this. Haha.

Good morning ;)



4 comments:

Loreta said...

Wow!!!

Bowie said...

what are you wow-ing at ah worm? xD

jimaji said...

full of equitment...slowly u can open an mini studio...
but hor ...when u wan to record my demo...longlong long time le

Bowie said...

jimaji

这些是小卡罢了。
Jia Xi的才是真正的玩意。哈哈。

拜五我去例常我们能的话就当天录